Reports from Haiti

Just another weblog

This Week In Thomonde

by on July 17, 2009
Filed under: Uncategorized

This week, our last in Haiti, has been as amazing and unforgettable as our entire experience here. What follows is a Reader’s Digest version of our crazy week!

On Monday, Jocelyn and I worked at Project Medishare’s clinic in Marmont. We counted out thousands of multi-vitamins and iron pills. While working the pharmacist Nanette played English songs off of her phone – Celine Dion, Elton John, and some other fun classics, over and over. (I am not sure I will be able to hear Shania Twain’s “You’re Still the One” and not think of fun-loving Nanette’s big smile.) The work was very relaxing and it was nice to be doing something that was clearly needed.

Tuesday was an educational day. Jocelyn and I shadowed a Project Medishare Community Health Worker (CHW) while she made her rounds in Marmont. She asked to see children’s vaccination cards and instructed people to see the doctor if they were sick. We gained valuable insight into the role of the Haitian CHW that we can use to help improve the CHW pack, which is, if you remember, one of the three packs we brought with us to Haiti.

Wednesday was very quiet as we spent the majority of the day in preparation for the arrival of our mentor Janet and a demonstration of the Diagnostic Lab-in-a-Backpack to physicians, nurses, and technicians from Project Medishare. The backpack was well-received, with one physician even declaring how the backpack would help him in conduct his mobile clinics.

Thursday was almost indescribable it was so surreal and amazing. Project Medishare invited many influential people to visit the Marmont Millennium Village Project and conduct a conversation with the Haitians about what they want for themselves and their families – and what they need to get there. In all of my time here in Haiti, working with various organizations, it is the first time I have heard anyone actually ask the Haitians what they want. I was honored to be present at this important event.

We were fortunate to be able to demonstrate the backpack to Dr. Arthur Fournier, co-founder of Project Medishare, and Professor Jeffrey and Dr. Sonia Sachs. Dr. Fournier and Dr. Sachs provided us with some valuable suggestions for additions to the backpack.

Jocelyn and I just finished writing a blog for Project Medishare detailing the time we spent there demonstrating the backpack. It should be up soon. Check it out at http://projectmedishare.wordpress.com.

This morning (Friday) Janet, Jocelyn, and I made our way to Port-au-Prince in preparation for our early flight tomorrow morning. The drive from the Central Plateau down through the mountains was beautiful. The varied scenery –mountains, a lake, a dam, and the sea- makes for a ride full of sights well worth seeing. We are staying in a lovely apartment owned by Project Medishare. From our porch we have an excellent view of the city.

Our last week here in Haiti has been a fast-paced, exciting blur. At the beginning of this week I was sitting in Medishare’s clinic counting pills to Celine Dion’s sultry tones, yesterday we demonstrated the backpack to Jeffrey and Sonia Sachs and many other interesting people, and today I am sitting in a comfy red armchair in a beautiful home in Port-au-Prince.

I cannot believe I am going home tomorrow. I am going to miss Haiti so much, especially the wonderful people I have met here and the bananas; the bananas are divine. This has truly been the experience of a lifetime. The knowledge I have gained here has left me better prepared to understand the challenges we face in improving global health and to work toward improving the quality of life for all of the world’s people.

I would like to thank everyone who made this internship possible, including the Beyond Traditional Borders Initiative, the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, St. Barthelemy School, and Project Medishare. Janet, your company and insight have been invaluable. Jocelyn, my other half, I wouldn’t have wanted to be here with anyone else, even if we jokingly argue like an old married couple! Thank you everyone!

Powered by WordPress