Reports from Haiti

Just another weblog

Wonderful Weekend

by on May 31, 2009
Filed under: Uncategorized

Hello everyone! Jocelyn and I are getting to know our way around and thoroughly enjoying our projects, as I am sure you can tell. This weekend we have greatly expanded our cultural knowledge of Haiti, and taken on a new project!

Yesterday, Janet left us and, while we were sad to see her go, we are excited to continue to get to know everyone here. Around three or so, right after lunch, Lanaud asked if we wanted some mangoes. We said yes and followed him out to the tree. This tree is behind the school, in complete view of the kitchen ladies -I like this term much better than staff. Some of their kids were around too. Lanaud climbed up the mango tree and shook down many. The young boys – maybe 9, 8, and 5 – gathered them up. Tanna, the cutest little girl ever, came over and held my hand. We walked back and sat down with the kitchen ladies and family. It should be noted that this was a momentous occasion because they usually sit around the corner from us.

Imagine an L. We-and the family that started the school- sit on the short side of the L and they sit on the long side of the L. The “inside” of the L is the kitchen. We awkwardly sat down with them. After the mangoes were washed, they were handed to us. Jocelyn took one first and then me. We didn’t know how to eat them. So we just sat there awkwardly until Dominique came over and handed one to a five year old. He proceeded to eat the mango the correct way: take a small bite to tear the skin and peel the skin off. Being a little too eager, I just noticed that he bit it. So, I took a bite. The women laughed hysterically; I didn’t know you didn’t eat the skin. They handed me a bowl to put the skin in; I had seen this bowl earlier and could not imagine its purpose. They continued laughing the whole time we ate because we were making such a mess. Definitely laughing with us. It was quite the bonding experience.

At dinner, Sara, one of the kitchen ladies, leaned down by Jocelyn and said, “Are you finished?” Jocelyn jumped she was shocked; we don’t expect to hear English from many people around here. It turns out that Dominique had taught her. All the kitchen ladies were laughing at the sound of the foreign words rolling off their friend’s tongue.

I feel like we got a lot closer to them today, and for that I am very glad. Doing different things together definitely has the ability to connect people.

I asked Lanaud the name of the little girl who was holding my hand earlier by pointing to her as she played a little ways away on the playground. He said Machin. Jocelyn and I thought this was so funny; machin is Creole for car. Later we asked Dominique why she was named after a car, and she said that was not her name. It turns out Tanna was playing right behind a car. Dominique then told the ladies and they laughed. Their laughter is constant and musical. They are so fun.

Tanna came over on the porch and was looking at my computer so I showed her pictures on iphoto and then opened up photo booth (the application that makes those weird pictures). She loved it. Seeing her face contort to weird angles, set her off on a giggle fest. It was one of the cutest things I have ever seen.

Today is Fabiola’s confirmation. Fabiola is Lanaud’s cousin. She lives with him and his family because her mother died a long time ago. They did not say of what. The kitchen ladies made all sorts of goodies -cakes and some cupcakes shaped like Frosty the Snowman. Fabiola even made candles to give out as thank you’s for coming. Right now she is getting ready and she looks beautiful. She is wearing a lovely long white dress. She looks like she could be a bride. We are going to Cap-Haitien for the service. It is also Haitian Mother’s Day, so I expect another good day!

Oh, I almost forgot to mention what our new project will be. Dominique asked us to teach English in the afternoons to the teachers. We gladly accepted and look forward to the challenge. We think it will greatly improve our rapport with them and allow us an opportunity to learn more Creole while teaching them.

Powered by WordPress