Reports from Haiti

Just another weblog

First Day of School

by on May 27, 2009
Filed under: Uncategorized

We arrived in Terrier Rouge yesterday!  Dr. Lucien (an ophthalmologist who works at the clinic in Terrier Rouge and in Cap) met us at the airport in Cap and sent us on our way to the school.  When we got to the school, we met all of the wonderful people who work here –administrators, kitchen staff, a driver, and teachers.  Truth be told, there were so many names I cannot possibly remember them all, but I have made a list so that I can do my best.

Then we got to meet our translator Josef.  He is a very nice man!  He offered to show us around Terrier Rouge and took us to meet his new wife, Ismonde.  They got married on Saturday.  We sat with them and got to know each other.  They were so welcoming and hospitable!  In fact, the way they treated me made me feel more comfortable here. 

Josef also took us into the village.  There were many people out, even though it was raining.  They were all dressed in white, the color of mourning here in Haiti.  We were told there had been a funeral for a 26-year-old woman.  They don’t know how she died. 

We relaxed in the town square until it was time to head back to the school for dinner.  Once there we met Père Bruno, the founder of this school and several others here in Haiti.  After dinner, we went to bed to prepare for our first day of school.  

Today was our first day of school!  It was sort of like jumping off a high dive, thrilling and terrifying at the same time.  We met all of the teachers and students.  Tomorrow we will teach our first lesson and have a meeting to acquaint the teachers with what we will be doing.  This way they won’t feel like we are stepping on their toes. 

More tomorrow after our first day.  Wish us luck!

Powered by WordPress